LovesDarcy

Lynsey A's Love of Romance

Well, I wouldn't call myself a huge blogger but I do at times like to tell my thoughts about books I've read...If you happen to catch those thoughts I hope you enjoy them.

Forgotten Sins (Sins Brothers, #1)
Rebecca Zanetti
The Devil's Shadow (Harlequin Presents, #1220)
Sally Wentworth
The Salvatore Marriage Deal
Natalie Rivers
The Price of Scandal
Kim Lawrence
Mistress: Pregnant By The Spanish Billionaire (#2919)
Kim Lawrence
SPOILER ALERT!

Unlikable Heroine...

No Good Duke Goes Unpunished - Sarah MacLean

Oh how I wished I liked this book better, but I don't. I just couldn't get past how Mara behaved in over half the book. She had a rough life, I get that, she did what she thought she had to do. I'm fine with that. What bothered me was the way she treated Temple after she revealed herself to him. At times she seemed to feel guilt for what she had done but other times she was so mercenary that it took away the guilty feeling. At one point Temple calls her a whore for her behavior. She was pissed and he was shamed by what he said but for me, she was acting that way. She charged him for kissing her for heavens sake! What else was he to think?

Her swift transformation after Temple was stabbed by her brother just didn't come soon enough for me. If she had been more guilty and less mercenary I would have liked her better. I get that she was trying to get money for the orphange but it didn't make me like her. For me, she just wasn't a likable character. I wanted to like her more near the end when she made some sacrifices but it was all too little too late. I just couldn't like her. I hate that because I really enjoy MacLean's books but Mara was just too unlikable.

Perhaps because of the way I felt about Mara I didn't especially warm up to Temple either. I didn't dislike him, he definitely got a raw deal but I couldn't see why he fell for Mara. In the end they try and make it seem like he was always a bad boy but I just didn't buy it.

The surprise reveal at the end regarding Chase was definitely unexpected. I'm intrigued to read that story.

This is the first book of all the MacLean's I've read that I didn't like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the heroine in the next book is more likeable. ;)